- Absolute zero isn’t absolute. Using lasers and magnetic fields, scientists have reached a temperature below absolute zero, a phenomenon which may also provide clues to the origins of dark energy.
- I posted a list of science misconceptions shared by science experts, a major project that I plan to keep growing as the site ages.
- There are at least 100 billion planets in just our own galaxy.
- On a related note, scientists spotted a planet forming from stardust for the first time ever.
- Our galaxy’s core just released more energy than a million supernovas.
- Brain imaging suggests that fructose actually causes changes in the brain that cause us to overeat.
- Scientists used electrical stimulation of the brain to cause a patient to release natural opiates, the brain’s most powerful painkillers.
- Oddly enough, air conditioning saves lives.
Featured Science Book This Week:
Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes